Soulful, powerful, and rockin are just some words that sum up Jessie Brown. Her powerful and expressive voice is turning heads and captivating audiences. In just two short years on the Halifax scene her performances have caught the attention of both noted local music phenoms and music fans.
A native of Moncton, New Brunswick, Jessie turned a life long study of classical piano into a job as a piano and vocal teacher in 2004. Jessie moved to Halifax in 2009 and attended school for Music Arts in Dartmouth. During this time Jessie became close with Deer Tick’s Rob Crowell, who encouraged and contributed towards Jessie’s success, and would end up as producer for her self titled album Jessie Brown released on june 8th.
Finally the planets aligned and I got to see @richaucoin live!!! #amazing (Taken with Instagram)
Christmas with @weredoomedband (Taken with Instagram at North End Dartmouth)
Givin’er on stage @bencaplanmusic present by @musicnovascotia (Taken with Instagram)
@patchealy graced Judah’s hat with a @jessiebrown_ pin (Taken with Instagram)
Leah’s weekly playlist vol. 1
So here is the deal - There is so much amazing local music that people don’t know about, and I am just one person, who is going to put a bunch of my favourite local songs into playlists to share to all of you who want some new music to listen to! I am going to try and figure out how to make it so that I can have these songs right on our blog so that it is easily accessible to you, but in the meantime, I’ll post links of where this music is located! I am going to be doing 10 songs a week, so keep checking back and I’ll keep posting!
*Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE listening to and receiving ideas for new and local music, so send me your ideas and bands and friends in bands to firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is week one! (In no particular order)
1. Human Enemy - FM Hi Low (http://fmhilow.com/media)
2. Just Like Sunday - Killawail (http://soundcloud.com/killawail)
3. Sticks & Stones - Jessie Brown (http://jessiebrown.bandcamp.com)
4. Back To The Basics - FM Hi Low (http://www.facebook.com/fmhilow/app_178091127385)
5. Good Year - The Danger Bees (http://www.facebook.com/thedangerbees/app_2405167945)
6. Magnets In Love - TemperTemper (http://tempertemperband.com/thankyou.php)
7. Baby Don’t Be Nice - Bloody Diamonds (http://www.bloodydiamonds.com/)
8. Introduction - Coyote (http://wearecoyote.bandcamp.com/)
9. Wino Rhino - Billie Dre & The Poor Boys (http://billiedre.bandcamp.com/)
10. Buyin’ Tonight - The Sweet Deals (http://thesweetdeals.bandcamp.com/)
*I’ve seen all these bands very recently, and they were all amazing!
This band is amazing and they whipped out some dubstep. Incredible. (Taken with Instagram)
Dana Beeler (Taken with Instagram at The Company House)
soundcheckiiiinnnn @indiefan @dylanoryan (Taken with Instagram at The Company House)
enjoying my patio while I work on @thestogies website (Taken with Instagram)
Website by Leah Kays | In Unison Productions